Location: Aden with travel to program locations
Job terms: full-time
Type of employment: Fixed-term employment contract
Starting date: ASAP.
We strongly encourage qualified candidates to apply as soon as it is possible as the applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is seeking a Country Access and Security Manager (CASM) for its Yemen operations. Based in Country Office with travel to program locations. A member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the CASM will work with country leadership to ensure that organizational security policies and procedures are responsive to the context, are contextually appropriate and known to staff, and will advise on humanitarian access processes and approaches in close coordination with program teams.
Reporting to the Country Director and technically reporting to Global Safety and Security Manager, the CASM will implement PAH Safety & Security management measures, as well as provide contextual analysis and understanding to decision-makers, and engage with key stakeholders to gain and maintain humanitarian access to those most in need. The CASM will prioritize the humanitarian principles, humanitarian needs, the duty of care and the PAH’s strategic action plans for Yemen.
The CASM ensures the security management in all aspects of the programming process at the country office and area offices level, strengthens the security arrangements of the Country Office and area/sub-offices and maintains a security network and coordination with international and national security personnel and apparatus.
The CASM will conduct onsite training for staff, and facilitate the development and implementation of appropriate plans, standard operating procedures, and contingency plans. S/he will provide expert humanitarian security and access advice to all levels of PAH staff across the program including building relationships, negotiating and mediating humanitarian access, contextual understanding, and conflict analysis, advisories, and incident management.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Safety and Security Management
- Provide technical support and advice on all policies, procedures, guidelines and planning for PAH Yemen staff safety, operational security and program continuity.
- Develop and implement humanitarian access strategies and approaches tailored to local contexts in field sites in Yemen.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop, consolidate and implement operating procedures and contingency plans.
- Evaluate, review and update the hibernation and evacuation plans for all PAH sites in Yemen and ensure that practical preparations are in place and known to all relevant staff.
- Conduct risk assessments of contracted and prospective offices and residences. Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with safety and security standards.
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment, and the protocols by which that equipment is used, to ensure that minimal conditions for security are being met.
- Provide and implement best possible solutions for use of equipment to facilitate communication between staff, including proposing safe alternative means of communication and equipment.
- Ensure humanitarian access approaches are responsive to local context and include overarching community engagement components.
- Evaluate, review and update security management plans on a regular basis. Reference and ensure compliance with the PAH security management framework within the security packages and all annexes.
Security Incident Management
- Lead the development of emergency preparedness plans and contingency plans, including evacuation procedures for international staff.
- Facilitate and support the Country Director on the function of the Crisis Management Team during security emergencies and major security threats and incidents
- Follow up on actions to be taken to ensure compliance with safety and security standards
- Ensure safety and security protocols, reporting mechanisms, and capacity-building initiatives.
- Ensure that an appropriate training package is developed and given to all staff on Safety and security procedures, crisis management protocols and handling hostile situations, etc.
- Ensure regular staff safety refresher training/drills on evacuation, fire safety, first aid, etc. are carried out in all locations
Network and Coordination
- Develop ongoing relationships with local authorities and other power brokers within Yemen.
- Work to ensure that PAH, its mission and work in all areas of operation is known and accepted.
- Liaise with relevant security actors e.g., NGO security staff, security forces, local community stakeholders, local authorities, Access Working Group, OCHA, Warden group, UNDSS, etc.
The successful candidate will be selected based on the qualification requirements described below:
- Master’s Degree in Security, War Science, Investigation, Work Safety, International Relations or any other relevant field;
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in security management or coordination in a Security Department;
- Skilled in team management and capacity building;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with people at all levels with varied backgrounds, experience and skills and contribute to the achievement of common goals;
- Excellent organization skills, including time management & prioritization;
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal), at least C2 level;
- Good command Arabic language is desirable;
- Advanced knowledge in communications and safety technology is desirable
- Sound understanding of local context and humanitarian & social needs of the most vulnerable population in Yemen
How to apply:
Please fill in the online application form and submit your resume and cover letter in English no later than February 10th, 2023.
Due to the urgency to fill the post, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. PAH reserves the right to close the job opening before the deadline.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.