Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is currently looking for a Country Director to ensure responsive programme development, implementation and strategical direction in Ukraine.
Organization: Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH), Warsaw-based international non-governmental organization with a representation office in Ukraine
Position: Country Director
Job terms: Full-time
Type of employment: Full time
Duration: 12 months
Starting date: ASAP.
We strongly encourage qualified candidates to apply as soon as it is possible as the applications will be reviewed on rolling basis.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- lead Country Office activities in strategic direction, program quality and growth
- set the strategic vision and direction of the country program to serve more people with responsive, high quality and accountable programming, and secure the resources necessary for realization
- align programming to the strategy action plan, sectoral expertise and technical standards
- identify opportunities for appropriate expansion and growth of programs
- ensure leadership and representation
- lead the country program by maintaining open and professional relations with colleagues, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance, oversight and resources to enable staff to perform successfully
- develop and maintain a high level of understanding of donor priorities and planned funding streams
- develop and maintain relations with all stakeholders such as donors, local authorities, INGO and LNGOs
- ensure efficient staff performance management and staff development
- supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and leading documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development for PAH staff.
- oversee the management, coaching and development of national and international staff to build a cadre of skilled, committed and motivated personnel
- promote and monitor staff care and well-being. Model healthy work-life balance practices. Support appropriate interventions in response to identified staff care needs of both national and international staff
- ensure appropriate operational management in the Country Office
- drive operational excellence to achieve optimal efficiency and cost-effectiveness in all functions and operations of the country program
- oversee the development, deployment and utilization of financial and operational policies, procedures, and systems to deliver compliance with PAH and donor requirements
- maintain effective and coordinated budget monitoring processes for grant funds and discretionary funds
- develop and maintain open and empowering communication in the office
- maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages open, honest and productive communication among PAH staff and with partner organizations.
- maintain open communications with regional management staff, regional technical advisors, and HQ departmental staff
- carry out of safety and security management
- take primary responsibility for overall management of safety and security for the country program
- oversee the management of all security issues, including appropriate response to emergency situations as they arise
- maintain a culture of safety and security throughout the country program, including trainings and briefings that prepare all country program staff for security incident prevention and response
- keep security, evacuation and contingency plans current and accessible to country program staff
- ensure timely and efficient reporting to HQ
- timely reporting about Country Office activities to HQ
The successful candidate will be selected based on the qualification requirements described below:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in International Development, Humanitarian Assistance, Management or any other related field required (Master’s is a plus)*
- at least 3 years of experience in INGO management/coordination (including security management in complex security situations, human resource management)
- proven experience in Project Cycle Management and strong project management skills
- solid experience in representing the organization in front of local authorities as well as international donor agencies
- previous extensive experience in staff management in cross-cultural environment required, including capacity building, training and facilitation skills
- previous experience in the region or conflict/ post-conflict setting highly desirable
- high resilience to stress, ability to work effectively under pressure in a hardship duty station
- ability to perform and oversee multiple tasks concurrently
- excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- strong planning and organizational skills
- strong sense of personal and professional integrity
- strategic mindset, strong analytical and problem solving skills
- languages: Full proficiency (C1) in spoken and written English required, knowledge of Ukrainian/Russian will be an asset
- Proficiency in MS Office package
*Additional years of professional experience may substitute for some education; additional education may substitute for the experience
What PAH offers:
- work experience with professional and flexible international NGO, which is one of the largest NGOs in the Central-Eastern Europe
- work in a dynamic and motivated team
- possibility for professional development
For expatriate Staff, PAH offers the following additional benefits:
- free accommodation
- flights home covered at the beginning and at the end of the deployments
- R&R benefit
- annual leave of 26 working days and 5 additional days of leave
- medical insurance (including Emergency Evacuation)
- psychological Support Package
How to apply:
Please fill in your application form online and submit your short resume (max.2 pages) and cover letter in English no later than September 26th, 2023.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.