Location: Erbil with travels inside Iraq
Contract details: Permanent/Full-time
Starting date: as soon as possible
PAH in Iraq:
We returned to Iraq at the end of 2016 to respond to the needs of the civilian population caused by the fighting in Mosul. The PAH response team immediately began to provide humanitarian aid to the residents of the city, supplying food baskets and hygiene kits. In 2017, Polish Humanitarian Action reached over 30 000 beneficiaries in Ninawa Governorate by providing food and hygiene assistance in cooperation with Caritas Czech Republic. Additional 23 000 beneficiaries from Erbil Governorate received food, hygiene or NFI assistance in project funded by Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In 2018, PAH has reached 25,000 beneficiaries in Erbil, Duhok and Ninawa Governorate. In 2019, PAH has started rehabilitation of damaged water networks in Mosul, Telkef, Hatra, and has distributed MPCA in Gwer, PAH has reached more than 25,000 last year. In 2020, PAH reached more than 60,000 beneficiaries in Erbil, and Ninawa governorates under the sectors of WASH, MPCA, Livelihood and Education.
PAH’s current activities in Iraq include:
- Switching from humanitarian response modality to development one.
- Improvement of quality of all actions, assuring more adequate response, following humanitarian standards and requirements of local communities.
- Response based on complementary programs and projects which are created in coordination with local authorities and local communities.
- Cooperation with different partner NGOs/INGOs, that delivers fruitful synergy of our actions.
Who are we looking for:
PAH in Iraq is looking for a Head of Mission. The person will hold the following responsibilities:
- Lead Mission activities in strategic direction, program quality and growth:
- Set the strategic vision and direction of the country program to serve more people with responsive, high quality programming, and secure the necessary resources;
- Align programming to the strategy action plan;
- Identify opportunities for appropriate expansion and growth of programs.
- Ensure efficient staff performance management and staff development:
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff and lead semi-annual performance reviews;
- Provide constructive feedback and counsel on appropriate career paths and professional development;
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being;
- Support appropriate interventions in response to identified needs of the mission staff.
- Ensure leadership and representation:
- Lead the country program by maintaining open and professional relations with colleagues, promoting a strong team spirit and providing guidance and resources to enable staff to perform successfully;
- Develop and maintain relations with all stakeholders such as donors, local authorities and other INGOs.
- Take a primary responsibility for a safety and security management on the Mission
- Monitor the security situation in the region and take proper decisions according to PAH internal rules;
- Closely cooperate with Security Officer at the mission level and Security Advisor at the HQ level;
- Keep security, evacuation and contingency plans up-to-date and accessible for the Mission staff.
- Ensure effective operational management on the Mission:
- Provide optimal efficiency and cost-effectiveness in all functions and operations of the country program;
- Coordinate budget monitoring process;
- Develop, review and update policies and procedures in order to achieve compliance with donor and PAH requirements.
- Provide and develop culture of open and constructive communication in the office:
- Ensure healthy and empowering job environment;
- Maintain open communication with staff members, advisors and colleagues in HQ.
- Report to HQ in terms of Mission activities in timely manner.
- At least 3 years of experience in mission / INGO management / coordination (including security management in complex security situations, human resource management);
- Proven experience in Project Cycle Management and strong project management skills;
- Extensive team management experience, including different levels of subordination (managers, experts, specialists);
- Experience in representing the organization in front of local authorities as well as international donor agencies;
- Previous experience from the region;
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Ability to manage a complex and demanding workload;
- Results orientation, excellent organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communication skills;
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English;
- Arabic language is an advantage;
- University degree (education in management will be an asset).
What we offer:
- Friendly and cooperative working atmosphere with comprehensive development possibilities;
- Free accommodation;
- Flights home covered at the beginning and at the end of the deployment and every 3 months;
- Annual leave of 26 working days and 5 additional days of free leave;
- Medical insurance (including Emergency Evacuation);
- Psychological Support Package.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your short resume (max.2 pages), cover letter and application form online no later than February 8th 2021.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be notified.