Polish Humanitarian Action (PAH) is currently looking for a Head of Operations for its Country Office in Ukraine
General information on the role:
Job title: Head of Operations
Duty station: Kyiv
Contract Type: Fixed Term Employment Contract
Working hours: Full Time
Report to: Country Director
Estimated start date: as soon as possible
Purpose of the role: to provide leadership to Country Office in Ukraine operations line managing logistics, Finance and HR departments’ senior most staff.
Specific Objective 1 : Logistics Management: Supervise logistics department senior most staff at Country Office level to ensure compliance on logistics manual and procedures.
- Take leadership role managing logistics department at country office and indirectly supervise logistics teams in field offices
- Develop objectives for logistics Coordinator/Officer to assign proper tasks and evaluate performance based on assigned objectives and tasks
- Ensure development of project procurement plan coordinating with Head of Program and logistic team
- Ensure PAH logistic manual is implemented at country office level and all documentations are properly done and archived
- Supervise procurement process to ensure compliance to PAH rules with Tender Commission members and logistic Co. or Officer
- Ensure assets and inventory are registered and being efficiently used.
- Ensure proper management of PAH fleet and warehouses and record keeping
- Supervise audits processes at country office level and support HQ levels audits to present documents on demand of auditor/s
- Make sure PAH partners at country office levels are complying on PAH and donor logistics policies and procedures
- Build capacities of logistic teams through training and on the job mentoring and support
- Organize monitoring visits to PAH and partner projects’ sites to ensure implementation of rules, procedures and proper documentations
- Make sure logistics’ monthly reports are developed and submitted to Country Director
Specific Objective 2: Financial Management: Overall management and Supervision of finance department its human resources at Country Office level to ensure compliance financial management instruction and other procedures.
- Lead finance department planning, budgeting and financial management tasks
- Develop objectives for Finance coordinator and Accountant to assign proper tasks and evaluate performance based on assigned objectives and tasks
- Supervise finance department staff at country office level, monitor performances, provide on the job support, training and capacity building
- Develop monthly forecasts and ensure timely financial flow from HQ to Country Office
- Develop monthly allocation splitters and insure their proper implementation
- Develop mission gaps files twice a year and conduct its periodic review to control costs
- Ensure cash management and record keepings are as per PAH agreed standard
- Ensure monthly financial bookings are done on time and coordinate with HQ finance desk and finance team for processing monthly booking
- Ensure timely payments to venders after all approval and signature and record keeping
- Coordinate with program team to develop project budgets and budget revisions when required
- Monitor Country Office’s expenses to ensure they are within allocated costs to avoid overspent
- Supervise archiving financial record and sending them to HQ as required
- Make sure all internal and external financial reporting are done on time
- Handle all partnership and consortium activities of the Country Office (Mapping, identification, assessments, capacity building, Coordination and reporting etc etc)
Specific Objective 3: Human Resource Management: Overall management and Supervision of HR department its human resources at Country Office level to ensure compliance on HR management policies and procedures are followed at Ukraine-Country Office level.
- Coordinate with Country Director and Head of Programs for HR planning and ensure timely recruitment of staff based on requirement and planning
- Develop human resources budget and ensure proper allocation on existing financial sources (internal and donors)
- Develop objectives for HR coordinator/Officer to assign proper tasks and evaluate performance based on assigned objectives and tasks
- Ensure compliance on HR procedures and proper documentation across all departments’ human resources
- Ensure timely recruitment of staff when required, coordinate to ensure timely induction of staff, JDs are updated, delivered and signed by all staff. Objectives are set by line managers and shared with HR, and performance evaluations are done on time.
- Ensure pay rolls are done correctly and government taxes are deducted and deposited on timely minor
- Make sure HR department coordinate with other heads of departments and develop staff capacity building plan based on recommendations in individual staff performance evaluations
- Ensure monthly and other periodic HR reports are done on time
Specific Objective 4: Liaison and Reporting to Authorities: Take leading role to coordinate with all operational and program departments as well as HQ desks to finalize periodic and annual reporting to authorities in Ukraine.
- Take lead on contracting lawyer and PAH representatives to government authorities
- Follow up on tasks assigned to PAH representatives and lawyers through HR department or directly as per plans
- Ensure all reporting to authorities are submitted and clarified on time
- Direct HR department on administrative orders, visas and residencies for expats to ensure they are done on time
- Coordinate with other humanitarian agencies on government authorities related matters when required
The successful candidate will be selected based on the qualification requirements described below:
- Experience in managing operations (minimum 3 years) within difficult operating environments
- Proven experience in staff management in cross-cultural environment, including capacity building, training and facilitation skills (at least 5 years)
- Solid understanding of financial systems, including budgeting and budget analysis experience (previous experience in finance management highly desirable)
- Knowledge of logistics, HR and office administration procedures
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of personal and professional integrity
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools
- University degree in relevant field
- Languages: Full proficiency (C1) in spoken and written English required (Ukrainian/Russian language will be an asset)
What we offer:
- work experience with professional and flexible international NGO, which is one of the largest NGOs in the Central-Eastern Europe
- work in a dynamic and motivated team
- possibility for professional development
For expatriate Staff, PAH offers the following additional benefits:
- free accommodation
- flights home covered at the beginning and at the end of the deployments
- R&R benefit
- annual leave of 26 working days and 5 additional days of leave
- medical insurance (including Emergency Evacuation)
- psychological Support Package
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please fill in the online application form and send us the following documents prepared in ENGLISH no later than October 10th, 2023:
- Short resume (max. 2 pages) including relevant information on your education and work experience;
- Short cover letter (max. 1 page).
We strongly encourage qualified candidates to apply as soon as possible, the applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
Kindly note that only the candidates shortlisted for the next stages of the recruitment will be contacted.